Brithdir War Memorial
Since 1920, the sum of £87 had been held in trust for the erection of a memorial to those of the village who had made the supreme sacrifice during the Great War. In September 1930, the inhabitants felt the time was right, and a public meeting, held at the George Hotel, elected a small organizing committee to push the project forward. The committee had difficulty finding a suitable site after their preferred location at Gwaelod-y-Brithdir cemetery was denied them. Eventually they settled on a site in front of the Workman’s Library Institute building. On Sunday, November 22, 1936, in front of a large crowd, Captain Lionel Lindsay, Chief Constable of Glamorgan, unveiled the work of sculptor Mr. Griffith Evans of Treforest.
The cenotaph was moved to its present site in 1973/74. It now rests on consecrated ground where St Paul’s Church once stood. The new site situated in the centre of the village at the top of Russell Street (many old inhabitants would know it as Church Street) had lain empty for 46 years and many would agree is a much more appropriate place for the Memorial.